Monday, June 23, 2014

starting week four—so that's crazy! [Jax 2014]

I actually laughed.

Okay, I didn't laugh in anyone's face, but my heart laughed a little when good friends who had been team leaders last summer at the JAX Summer Training Program told me it would be the most difficult summer of my life.

What could be so hard about Jax?! I've been there before. I know the routine. My team got along so great last time! I have no idea what they mean. Nahhh, that won't be me.

Now I'm laughing (and crying a few tears even!) at the proud and foolish heart of Amelia. Oh little girl of 22 years, you don't know much of anything. But that's okay, because you learn best by experience and that's exactly what is happening this summer.


The verse I felt lead to choose for my "team verse" comes from the book of Philippians in the Bible.  It comes from the 2nd chapter, where Paul first talks about humility in love and unity, and then living life as holy children of God.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe."

What you may not know is that directly after that, Paul continues on writing! His prayer is that they would continue on in faith in Jesus, that Paul might not have run or labor for naught.  I so love verse 17…"but even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you."

I've not been rejoicing in being poured out.  In fact, I have welcomed a complaining, woe-is-me attitude about the trials that the Lord has placed before me this summer. Amelia, what does verse 14 say?!  Do everything without complaining… oh…yeah.


My conviction and prayer for this week (and the rest of the summer) is that I would consider it joy to be poured out. To love well and to love hard.  To be selfless and yet to know that my first priority is to spend time with Jesus, personally—because I can't pour out myself.  I have to be pouring out through the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment